Update on United States Supreme Court Ruling on Travel Restrictions (PDAD&C #122)
|From:||Cheryl Regehr, Vice-President & Provost
Kelly Hannah-Moffat, Vice-President, Human Resources & Equity
|Date:||June 30, 2017|
|Re:||Update on United States Supreme Court Ruling on Travel Restrictions (PDAD&C #122)|
On June 26, 2017, the United States Supreme Court ruled that the revised immigration Executive Order that was scheduled to take effect March 16, 2017 would be upheld with the exception of foreigners holding “a credible claim of a bona fide relationship with a person or entity in the United States.” Individuals with a bona fide relationship are exempt from the 90-day ban on travellers from Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen. The Executive Order was implemented on June 29, 2017 at 8:00pm EST. For more information on the decision, please see the U.S. Supreme Court Ruling Nos. 16-1436 and 16-1540.
If you have been invited to visit the United States during this time, and are concerned about entrance eligibility, please refer to the information listed below, contact your nearest US Embassy, and consult the ‘Entry/Exit Requirements’ section on the Government of Canada active travel restrictions website:
US Department of Homeland Security
US Department of State
- Executive Order on Visas
We will be monitoring developments regarding this ruling to assess its impact to members of the University community and beyond. Updates will be available on immigration.utoronto.ca. We would like to take this opportunity to remind the University community of available resources to those who may be impacted as a result of the reinstatement of the executive order:
- For students travelling or planning to travel abroad who have questions or concerns:
- Contact the Safety Abroad Office at 416-946-3929;
- In case of an emergency, reach the 24-hour collect emergency line via Campus Police at 416-978-2222.
- For faculty and staff who may have questions or concerns about their own status overall:
- Faculty, Visiting Professors, Guest Lecturers can contact firstname.lastname@example.org;
- Postgraduate Medical Trainees can contact email@example.com;
- Staff, Research Associates, and Postdoctoral Fellows can contact firstname.lastname@example.org;
- All other inquiries can be sent to email@example.com.
- For international students who may have questions or concerns about their own status overall:
- UTSG international students can reach staff at the Centre for International Experience at 416-978-2564 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
- UTM international students can reach staff at the International Experience Centre at 905-569-4716 or email@example.com;
- UTSC international students can reach staff at the International Student Centre at 416-287-7518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.