Reminder: International Travel for Work Purposes
From: Heather Boon, Acting Vice-President, People Strategy, Equity & Culture
Randy Boyagoda, Acting Vice-Provost, Faculty & Academic Life
Date: June 16, 2023
Re: Reminder: International Travel for Work Purposes
In October 2022, the Assistant Vice President, International Engagement & Impact announced a partnership with International SOS to provide a range of travel-related services to faculty, librarians and staff including trip logistics and helpful pre-departure information, medical and mental health support, and assistance in the event of an emergency like a natural disaster or security incident.
As faculty, librarians, and staff continue to engage in international travel for university business, we encourage our community members to register for International SOS via the U of T Portal in advance of departure.
Registering for International SOS services will provide you with timely support should you need it during your travels and will keep you as safe and healthy as possible in the event of an individual or local/national crisis in a particular country. In the absence of registering for International SOS services, it will be up to your Faculty/Divisional Office to determine how best to provide you with support, which may result in longer response times. For example, if you need a doctor, dentist or mental health professional in the location you are visiting, International SOS can help refer you. If there is a natural disaster like a tornado or an earthquake, or security incident such as armed conflict or protests, International SOS can help extract you as quickly as safely as possible. If you lose your passport or need help finding a safe place to stay, International SOS can assist. For more information about International SOS services available to you:
- Review this Service Now article and resources,
- Visit the Office of the Vice-President, International website
- Review the International SOS Membership Overview E-Guide,
- Call the International SOS assistance centre at +1 215-942-8478, or use the call button in the Assistance App.
In addition to signing up for International SOS we advise you to carefully review the following before your departure:
- Government of Canada travel advisories – the authoritative source on which U of T bases its guidance on travel,
- Benefits you are eligible for under the Green Shield Canada plan,
- Information related to emergency medical and quarantine benefits on the Green Shield Canada Support Centre prior to work-related travel.
If you have further questions about International SOS services or require assistance, please visit the HR Service Centre to submit a request for help.