Call for Proposals — LEAF+ Grant: Generative AI in Teaching and Learning
From: Susan McCahan, Vice-Provost, Academic Programs, and Vice-Provost, Innovations in Undergraduate Education
Date: February 3, 2023
Re: Call for Proposals — LEAF+ Grant: Generative AI in Teaching and Learning
In conjunction with the current call for Expressions of Interest for the Learning and Education Advancement Fund (LEAF), the Office of the Vice-Provost Innovations in Undergraduate Education (OVPIUE) welcomes proposals for projects addressing the theme of Generative AI in Teaching and Learning. Given the potential impacts, opportunities, and challenges of this emergent technology for the ways that course instructors and students engage in teaching and learning, the OVPIUE will be funding projects to help inform the application of these evolving tools in pedagogical contexts. For more information on Generative AI in the Classroom, the Provost’s Office has developed an overview and FAQ.
Example project areas may include:
- Developing assessment and pedagogical methods that leverage opportunities, or respond to issues, created by the technology
- Creating activities for learners that utilize the technology
- Raising student digital literacy/awareness on appropriate use of generative AI tools
- Developing approaches that use the technology for formative feedback
- Responding to disciplinary specific concerns/opportunities
- Other related topics
Funding will be offered at the LEAF Seed level ($5,000 to $10,000) for one year with the possibility of extension, and projects are to be completed by the end of the Fall 2023 term.
Funding recipients will form a cross-disciplinary network, meeting monthly to share insights as new approaches using or responding to AI in teaching and learning are explored across the projects. This work will serve as a conduit for feedback to OVPIUE on the instructor experiences’ piloting new strategies and methods. Given the rapidly changing landscape (platforms, capabilities, norms), proposed projects should be agile and include components that are platform and tool agnostic, wherever possible. Emphasis should be given to pedagogical considerations, both practical and conceptual, to surface key learning in this new context for others within the community.
Timelines for LEAF+ Generative AI in Teaching and Learning:
- Expressions of Interest are due February 28, 2023, through the OVPIUE LEAF+ website
- Approved Expressions of Interest will be invited to submit full proposals, due March 28, 2023
- Funding results will be shared in April 2023
- Proposals will be accepted from either individuals or project teams.
- Proposals will be accepted from U of T faculty, staff and librarians with continuing appointments in all academic divisions.