Call for Nominations — U of T’s Teaching Excellence and Student Learning Awards (PDAD&C #10)
From: Cheryl Regehr, Vice-President and Provost
Date: September 21, 2023
Re: Call for Nominations — U of T’s Teaching Excellence and Student Learning Awards (PDAD&C #10)
I am delighted to announce the Call for Nominations for the 2023-24 Teaching Excellence and Student Learning Awards. These University-wide awards recognize our strengths in teaching and learning, and celebrate the achievements of faculty and staff undertaking innovative activities.
The President’s Teaching Award (PTA)
The President’s Teaching Award honours excellence in teaching and significant contributions in educational leadership. I encourage nominations of colleagues whose achievements in these areas are truly outstanding. A selection committee chaired by the Vice-President & Provost will determine the PTA award winners.
- PTA winners receive an annual professional development allowance of $10,000 for five years.
- The University designates recipients as members of the Teaching Academy for a minimum period of five years.
- Please visit the President’s Teaching Award page for information on the award and nomination guidelines.
Deadline for nominations is March 21, 2024. Inquiries about the PTA should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Early Career Teaching Award (ECTA)
The Early Career Teaching Award recognizes faculty members who demonstrate an exceptional commitment to student learning, pedagogical engagement, and teaching innovation. This award is open to faculty in continuing-status appointments including tenure-stream Assistant Professors, teaching-stream Assistant Professors and full-time clinical faculty within the first six years of their continuing-status appointment. A selection committee chaired by the Vice-President & Provost (or Designate) will determine the award winners.
- Faculty members who have completed two years of teaching at the University of Toronto in their current continuing-status appointment are eligible to be nominated for the Early Career Teaching Award.
- Up to five awards of $3,000 each will be offered annually.
- Please visit the University of Toronto Early Career Teaching Award page for information on the award and guidelines to prepare a nomination package.
Deadline for nominations is January 30, 2024. Inquiries about the ECTA should be directed to: email@example.com
Global Educator Award
The Vice-President, International and the Vice-President & Provost are pleased to offer the Global Educator Award. The Award recognizes faculty members who embody the University’s global mission and profile. They are effective teachers who both demonstrate and foster intercultural/global fluency — the ability to successfully operate and communicate within different cultural contexts — through pedagogies that reflect a diversity of perspectives and invite engagement from all students. Award recipients will be honoured at the annual Excellence in Teaching Reception held each fall.
- Eligibility is open to all teaching-stream and tenure-stream faculty members in continuing appointments as of September 1, 2023. This includes pre-tenure and pre-continuing status faculty.
- One award of $3,000 will be offered annually.
- Please visit University of Toronto Global Educator Award page for information on the award and guidelines to prepare a nomination package.
- The adjudication committee will be chaired by the Associate Vice-President and Vice-Provost, International Student Experience.
Deadline for nominations is January 30, 2024. Inquiries about the Global Educator Award should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Northrop Frye Award
The Northrop Frye Award recognizes the excellence of an individual faculty member, an individual librarian/staff member, or a team who have undertaken a teaching and learning project within the last five years that significantly enhanced the undergraduate student learning experience. This is not a humanities-focused award and nominations from across the University and from all departments and divisions are welcome and encouraged.
Up to three awards of $1500 will be offered annually, one each for:
- Northrop Frye Faculty: Faculty members (individuals) holding continuing appointments are eligible for the Northrop Frye Award (Faculty). This includes tenure-stream, teaching-stream (continuing), and clinical faculty.
- Northrop Frye Staff / Librarians: Advancement Professional, Confidential Staff, Professional & Managerial Staff, Research Associate / Senior Research Associate, Librarian, Unionized (administrative or academic) staff, or a Casual employee.
- Northrop Frye Team: Collaborative teams of faculty members and administrative staff are eligible for the Northrop Frye Award (Team). Teams can be comprised of 1) faculty-only 2) staff / librarians-only 3) a combination of faculty, librarians, and staff members. Faculty members could hold continuing appointments (tenure-stream, teaching-stream (continuing) and clinical faculty) or a Contractually-Limited Term Appointment (CLTA).
Please visit the Northrop Frye Awards page on the Awards of Excellence website for information and guidelines to prepare a nomination package.
Deadline for nominations is January 30, 2024. Inquiries about the Northrop Frye Award should be directed to: email@example.com
Vivek Goel Citizenship Award
The Vivek Goel Faculty Citizenship Award recognizes a faculty member who has served the University with distinction in multiple leadership capacities in diverse spheres over many years. The intended recipient of this award is an exemplary university citizen and a senior member of the faculty. The award focuses on individuals who have sustained a record of contributions in varied capacities, however, a nominee’s research record is not pertinent to this award.
- Up to $2,500 will be given to a faculty member who has served the University with distinction in multiple leadership capacities, including committees, governance bodies, and external organizations complementary to the University’s academic mission.
- Please visit the Vivek Goel Faculty Citizenship Award page on the Awards of Excellence website for more information.
Deadline for nominations is January 30, 2024. Inquiries about the Vivek Goel Award should be directed to: firstname.lastname@example.org