Reporting Structure Changes – Student Life
|From:||Sandy Welsh, Vice-Provost, Students|
|Date:||June 5, 2017|
|Re:||Reporting Structure Changes – Student Life|
As was shared in April, Lucy Fromowitz will be stepping down from her position of Assistant Vice-President, Student Life at the University of Toronto effective June 16, 2017, to serve as Vice-Provost, Students at York University.
At the time of Lucy’s arrival at U of T in 2008, the Division of Student Life, St. George, had just undergone a review process. Now, almost a decade later, Lucy’s departure presents a timely opportunity for us to once again step back and look at the leadership and structure of the Division of Student Life on the St. George Campus. In the fall, the University will engage in an External Review of Student Life on the St. George Campus. The team of Reviewers will be invited from peer institutions and the Student Life portfolio at U of T. This review process and any subsequent recommendations will help us to ensure that the division is best positioned to meet our goals for student life and experience now, and as we look towards the future. In addition, the outcome of the review will inform the skills and experience that will be critical to seek in the next leader of the St. George Student Life portfolio. I will soon be seeking nominations for a Review Committee to advise me in this process.
In order to minimize disruptions to the divisional leadership within Student Life, I have decided not to appoint an Interim Assistant Vice-President. As a result, there will be some temporary changes in the reporting structure effective June 19, as follows:
- Heather Kelly (Senior Director, Student Success) and David Newman (Senior Director, Student Experience) have graciously agreed to take on additional division-wide responsibilities and reports during this transition period and both will report to the Vice-Provost, Students:
- Tony Bowman (Director, Student Life Communications) and Nancy Okada (Director of IT, Student Life) will have a dual reporting relationship to both Heather Kelly and David Newman;
- The Student Crisis Response and Academic Progress Team will be reporting to David Newman;
- Shannon Simpson (Acting Director, Aboriginal Student Services/First Nations House) will be reporting to Heather Kelly.
- John Monahan (Warden, Hart House) and Janine Robb (Executive Director, Health & Wellness Centre) will report to the Vice-Provost, Students; and,
- Serena Persaud (Chief Administrative Officer, Student Life), will have a reporting relationship to me, with a dotted reporting line to Catherine Gagne (Chief Administrative Officer, Division of the Vice-President & Provost).
During this interim period, all other staff within the Division will continue to report to their current managers and directors.
I would like to thank the Student Life staff members and the larger University community for your patience as we navigate this transition period. I commend you all for your ongoing commitment to student experience and well-being. I am looking forward to working closely with my colleagues in Student Life and across the University as we review the division and seek information about the qualities and competencies we are looking for in the next leader of the St. George Division of Student Life at the University of Toronto. Any questions or concerns may be directed to my office at firstname.lastname@example.org.